By Angela Wallace, MSc, RD
If making your own bread sounds too difficult, start with this simple and delicious granola. It is filled with whole ingredients, it’s gluten free, and it’s the perfect smoothie bowl or parfait topper.
Makes approximately 6 cups of granola (split recipe in half to make less)
- 2 and 1/2 cups rolled gluten free oats
- 1 cup roasted slivered almonds
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup coconut oil (melted)
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 2 tbsp. ground flax seed (optional)
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips or dark chocolate chunks
- Preheat oven to 350 F and line a baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- In a bowl mix together oats, slivered almonds, shredded coconut, cocoa powder, and salt.
- In a separate bowl, mix together vanilla extract, maple syrup, and coconut oil.
- Coat the dry ingredients with the wet and mix well.
- Spread evenly on baking sheet and bake in oven for 18-20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool for 2 minutes (while still warm sprinkle with chocolate chips and mix together,side note: get right in there with your hands and mix it together well. Doing this helps the chocolate melt in with the granola and leaves you with cooled delicious granola chunks).
Cheers to happy and healthy eating!
Nutrition breakdown (per ¼ cup serving)
- 165 kcal
- 12g total fat
- 13g carbs
- 5g sugars (natural and added)
- 3g fibre
- 3g protein
Angela is a registered dietitian, nutritionist, family food expert, and certified personal trainer. She specializes in women’s health, with a focus on weight loss and digestive conditions. She uses a ‘non dieting approach’ with her ultimate goals being to help people find a balanced lifestyle and healthy relationship with food.